Regular cleaning differs from deep cleaning and is something most people do every week, a tidy here and there, a run around with the vacuum, whereas deep cleaning is much more in depth which it is usually only done every 6 months to a year.
To maintain a standard level of cleanliness around the house. Regular cleaning will usually cover things like:
- vacuuming and mopping floors
- cleaning around the bathroom – sink, mirror, bath and toilet
- General tidying up
- Giving the kitchen a clean – wiping down work surfaces, cupboard doors, hob and the like.
Doing deep cleaning can be very different and more, well, in depth.
Strict deep cleaning is often required before a tenant moves in or out of rented accommodation, this is also known as an end of tenancy clean.
Carrying out a deep cleaning is different from regular or spring cleaning because it reaches the deep grime and dirt which may have built up over time in your home.
It covers areas which aren’t usually covered by a regular or spring clean for example:
- Behind kitchen appliances like the washing machine and oven, You’ll be surprised at the the grime that builds up
- Beneath the sink
- The inside of the oven often gets neglected including the oven door glass
- Inside and around window frames and patio doors are places where dirt can accumulate
- Both inside and outside of all windows – read our vinegar window cleaning tip
- Washing window blinds
- A good and careful dusting including all the all the corners of rooms for cobwebs
- Scale builds up on bathroom tiles, kitchen tiles, taps, shower heads etc
Taking the bathroom as an example.
A bathroom deep cleaning means cleaning the inside and tops of the cupboards, including inside of the medicine cabinet.
Behind and underneath the sink and toilet pan and using a good limescale remover to remove all built up scale from all taps, tiles and the shower head.
This is in addition to the regular cleaning tasks.
Of course this reflects in the time taken to carry out the deeper clean.
A great deal of regular cleaning may take 2-3 hours a week, Whereas a deep clean of a medium size house might take a cleaning team of 3 up to 12 hours (in average condition).
Most guestrooms in a hotel are deep-cleaned between two and four times a year depending on the occupancy level of the hotel.